|My thanks to the Newport Fire Department for saving my home.|
|On March 14, 1982, the then tenant of the third floor, John, had a mattress fire. He attempted get the mattress out of the building by throwing it down the staircase. The resulting fire caused an implosion and a complete gutting of the third floor. John was rescued from the second floor hallway by a then tenant of 1 1/2 Willow Street, Chester.
John and I became good friends later in years. He has gone onto a successful life in Florida. I moved into the refurbished apartment when I 'retired' to Newport.
Thank you NFD.